The IAS Netball Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented netballers by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October 2016 and concluding September 2017.
The IAS Netball Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented netballers by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding September.
IAS Netball sessions will be held fortnightly/monthly at various venues throughout the Illawarra Region including Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and the Wingecarribee.
IAS Scholarship holders will be exposed to high level competition through their participation in the annual ClubsNSW Academy Games, Inter-Academy Challenge, the NIB Games as well as matches against teams from metropolitan Sydney.
IAS Scholarship holders are expected to attend ALL scheduled IAS Netball sessions in addition to club, representative and other sport commitments.
The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing elite training in netball specific skills development, athletic movement development as well as an elite sports education curriculum
Sports Specific Skill Development - SSSD
IAS Scholarship athletes are provided elite netball skill development programs and exposed to high quality instruction from the region’s leading netball coaches. Athletes are provided training in netball specific skill areas including catch & pass, footwork, shooting and defending. Through the use of video analysis athletes are also provided both technical and tactical feedback on individuals techniques and decision-making.
Athletic Movement Development - AMD
IAS Scholarship athletes receive a comprehensive Musculoskeletal Screening and individualised pre-hab exercise programs as well as an athletic movement competency screening with specific high performance resistance training programs designed for individual athletes needs in line with the long term athlete development program. Additionally, scholarship holders will receive netball specific physical testing in line with the requirements of the Netball NSW High Performance Unit.
Elite Sports Education Curriculum - ESEC
IAS Scholarship athletes will complete an education curriculum covering sports specific topics including sports nutrition, performance psychology, drugs in sport and athletic movement & injury prevention as well as personal development topics including athlete professionalism, goal-setting & time management and media awareness & public speaking.
Education sessions will be in the form of workshops and will require athletes to complete a home task as well as an online assessments towards the end of the scholarship period.
The IAS along with its sponsors and supporters covers the majority of the costs associated with the sports scholarship program. Scholarship athletes may however be required to contribute to some additional components of the program such as camps and tours.
New athletes are required to purchase the basic IAS Uniform which while partly subsidized by the IAS, is a cost to the athlete.
2017 Scholarship Umpires
To be eligible for an IAS Battlewin Netball Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region i.e. Kiama, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Wingecarribee or Wollongong local government areas; and
- Be a registered member with Netball NSW through an Association within the Illawarra region; and
- Be available for selection in an association based within the IAS local government area. i.e. make yourself available for association trials and representative programs.
- Be aged between 14 - 16 during the year of scholarship i.e. born in 2002, 2003 or 2004
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Demonstrate potential to compete at Netball NSW U17 Phase Two selection Trials within 12 months
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in netball;
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction.
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance;
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence.
The selection process for the 2018 IAS Scholarship include the following:
- All athletes MUST submit an Athlete Nomination Form - Now Open
- All athletes need to attend the Trial to be held Saturday 23rd September 2017 at the University of Wollongong Sports Hub
New Athletes Only
- New Athletes will be required to attend a short interview with the IAS staff and coaches between Monday 9th October – Friday 13th October 2017
The IAS Netball Program is proudly sponsored by Battlewin Premium Sports Tape and supported by Netball NSW as well as the Illawarra District, Kiama, Shoalhaven, Ulladulla and Highlands Netball Associations.