IAS Hockey Program
The IAS Hockey Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented hockey athletes by providing industry leading high-performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding September. However, there is a heavier focus on the program from September through to state team selection trials in April.
The program will provide coaching, training and competition to improve athlete development with a view to:
- Develop the fundamental skill level of athletes which will enhance their opportunities for selection into NSW State squads and teams;
- Prepare athletes to a level where their transition to any NSW State Team is ‘seamless’ in terms of programs or pathways;
- Increase the level of success of those athletes at competition and events in hockey competitions nationwide
- Provide an introduction and progression into sport specific strength and conditioning
- Provide education around athletic development as well as personal development in topics such as Nutrition, Sport Psychology, Media Skills / Public Speaking, Youth Leadership, Drugs in Sport
- The program will conduct fortnightly skills-based sessions and weekly strength and conditioning training to which attendance is expected.
Mr Alex Mackay, Head Coach
Iszabella (Iszi) Crawford
The IAS 2019-20 Scholarship period will officially run from the Induction Day on Saturday 12 October 2019 through to September 2020.
Key commitments for the Scholarship period include (more specific information to come at Squad Inductions)
Squad Inductions: (TBA - Late September)
Induction Day: 12 October 2019
Academy Games: 3-5 April 2020
Training: Weekly or fortnightly (dependent on time of year)
Education Sessions: Various dates throughout the year
Athlete Testing: Induction Day & Mid-March
Strength & Conditioning: Weekly (dependent on time of year)
IAS hockey sessions will be held at various venues throughout the Illawarra Region including Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and the Wingecarribee.
IAS Scholarship holders will be exposed to high level competition through their participation in the annual ClubsNSW Academy Games held in April.
IAS Scholarship holders are expected to attend ALL scheduled IAS hockey sessions in addition to club, representative and other sport commitments.
The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing elite training in hockey specific skills development, education and development around strength and conditioning, as well as a sports education curriculum.
Sports Specific Skill Development
IAS Scholarship athletes are provided elite hockey skill development programs and exposed to high quality instruction from the region’s leading hockey coaches.
Strength & Conditioning
There will be an expectation that IAS athletes commit to a Strength and Conditioning (S&C) program throughout the scholarship period. IAS view S&C as a crucial aspect of any athlete’s development. The IAS S&C program is overseen by our Physical Performance Coach and there are supervised weekly gym sessions at the majority of the council regions.
IAS Scholarship athletes will complete an education curriculum covering sports specific topics including sports nutrition, performance psychology, drugs in sport, media/public speaking skills as well as many other topics throughout the year.
Education sessions will be in the form of webinars and workshops. The webinars are easily accessible anywhere, online. The workshops will take place at the University and will be a mix of interactive and content-based learning.
The IAS is the only regional Academy to not charge an athlete levy to athletes successful in obtaining a scholarship. However, athletes may be required to contribute to some additional components of the program such as camps and tours.
Athletes will also be required to purchase the IAS hockey squad uniform.
To be eligible for a Hockey Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region, Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and Wingecarribee; and
- Be a registered member with Hockey NSW through an Association within the Illawarra region; and
- Between the ages of 16 to 18 during the scholarship
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in hockey;
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction;
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance;
- Demonstrate potential to be selected for Hockey NSW state teams within 12 months;
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence;
Please click HERE to nominate.
Trial dates will be taking place on:
TRIAL 1: Monday 16 September 5pm to 7pm at the University of Wollongong Hockey Field
TRIAL 2 & Information Presentation: Wednesday 9 October 5pm to 7pm - University of Wollongong Hockey Field
More information regarding the trials will be emailed out following nomination close.
The IAS Hockey Program is proudly supported by Illawarra South Coast Hockey Association.
The IAS Hockey Program is endorsed by Hockey NSW.