IAS Cycling Program
The IAS Cyclist Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented cyclists by providing industry leading high-performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding September.
The program will provide coaching, training and competition to improve athlete development with a view to:
- Develop the skill level of athletes which will enhance their opportunities for selection into national teams/squads and the NSWIS program as scholarship holders.
- Prepare athletes to a level where their transition to the NSWIS (NSW Institute of Sport) squad is ‘seamless’.
- Increase the level of success of those athletes at competition and events
- Provide an introduction and progression into sport specific strength and conditioning
- Provide education around athletic development as well as personal development in topics such as Nutrition, Sport Psychology, Media Skills / Public Speaking, Youth Leadership, Drugs in Sport
- The program will conduct weekly skills based and strength and conditioning training to which attendance is expected.
Mr Mick Marshall, Head Coach
Miss Chloe Heffernan, Assistant/Mentor Coach
Mr Gavin Cliff, Manager
The IAS 2019-20 Scholarship period will officially run from the Induction Day on Saturday 12 October 2019 through to September 2020.
Key commitments for the Scholarship period include (more specific information to come at Squad Inductions)
Squad Induction: Will be conducted at Induction Day
Induction Day: 12 October 2019
Academy Games: 3-5 April 2020
Training: Weekly or fortnightly (dependent on time of year)
Education Sessions: Various dates throughout the year
Athlete Testing: Induction Day & Mid-March
Strength & Conditioning: Weekly (dependent on time of year)
IAS Cycling sessions will be held weekly at Unanderra Velodrome. However, can also be held at various other locations throughout the Illawarra region.
IAS Scholarship holders will be exposed to high level competition through their participation in the NSW Junior Track Series (NJTS) and the NSW Junior Road Championships.
IAS Scholarship holders are expected to attend ALL scheduled IAS AFL sessions in addition to club, representative and other sport commitments.
The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing elite training in Cycling specific skills development, education and development around strength and conditioning, as well as a sports education curriculum.
Sports Specific Skill Development
IAS Scholarship athletes are provided elite Cycling development programs and exposed to high quality coaching from the region’s leading Cycling coach.
Strength & Conditioning
There will be an expectation that IAS athletes commit to a Strength and Conditioning (S&C) program throughout the scholarship period. IAS view S&C as a crucial aspect of any athlete’s development. The IAS S&C program is overseen by our Physical Performance Coach and there are supervised weekly gym sessions at the majority of the council regions.
IAS Scholarship athletes will complete an education curriculum covering sports specific topics including sports nutrition, performance psychology, drugs in sport, media/public speaking skills as well as many other topics throughout the year.
Education sessions will be in the form of webinars and workshops. The webinars are easily accessible anywhere, online. The workshops will take place at the University and will be a mix of interactive and content-based learning.
The IAS is the only regional Academy to not charge an athlete levy to athletes successful in obtaining a scholarship. However, athletes may be required to contribute to some additional components of the program such as camps and tours.
Athletes will also be required to purchase the IAS Cycling uniform.
To be eligible for a Cycling Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region, Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven or Wingecarribee; and
- Be a registered member of a cycling club affiliated with NSW cycling; and
- Between the ages of 14 to 18 at the beginning of the scholarship i.e. 14-18 years old in October 2019.
Special consideration may be given to cyclists outside the eligible age or who reside outside the SCG, subject to the approval of the IAS Board.
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Demonstrate through past performance and/or potential, the ability to reach or exceed a top 5 place at NSW Championships within 12 months.
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in cycling;
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance.
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction.
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence
NB: Subjectivity is an unavoidable element of selection to the IAS Cycling Squad.
Applications for 2019/20 Scholarships are now closed.
For all enquiries please contact the IAS office on 4225 3899
The IAS Cycling Program is proudly sponsored by Soto Consulting Engineers, Cram Fluids as well as Cycing NSW and the NSWIS.