BluescopeWIN LoneStar Program
The IAS BluescopeWIN LONESTAR Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented athletes by providing industry leading high-performance sport development programs.
The BluescopeWIN LSP is for athletes who compete in the various sports, individual or team, that the IAS currently do not provide specific program for or for athlete who fall outside the sports specific eligibility.
Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding September.
The aim of the program is to provide additional athlete development on top of the athletes club or school-based training environment. The program will aim to improve athlete development with a view to:
- Prepare athletes to a level where their transition to any State or National Team is ‘seamless’ in terms of programs or pathways;
- Increase the level of success of those athletes at competition and events in their chosen sport
- Provide an introduction and progression into sport specific strength and conditioning
- Provide education around athletic development as well as personal development in topics such as Nutrition, Sport Psychology, Media Skills / Public Speaking, Youth Leadership, Drugs in Sport
- The program will conduct weekly skills based and strength and conditioning training to which attendance is expected.
Mr Dane Robinson, Program Manager
Cooper Collinge - Surfing
Ryan Fleming - Tennis
George Michael - Rugby League
Maja Moore - Acrobatic Gymnastics
Kade Roberts - Rugby League
Jacob Roulstone - Motorcycle racing
Caycee Stratten - Snowboarding
Erin Willetts - Soccer
Keegan Willetts - Surfing
Kieran Woolley - Skateboarding
Miranda Blades - Gymnastics
Bailey Crehan - Swimming
Molly Jewiss - Acrobatic Gymnastics
Ella Treanor - Acrobatic Gymnastics
Liam Urszulak - Cricket
Taleha Urszulak - Equestrian
Parri Barrele - Tennis
Lara Check - Athletics
Talika Irvine - Swimming
Chelsea Pheeney - Swimming
Jack Hatcher Water - Polo
Jessica Adams - Acrobatic Gymnastics
Mikayla Carr - Acrobatic Gymnastics
Jemima Clarke - Acrobatic Gymnastics
Hannah Crinnion - Athletics
Ben Giason - Soccer and Athletics
Charlotte Gumm - Acrobatic Gymnastics
Mikayla Gumm - Acrobatic Gymnastics
Holly Holmesby - Surf Life Saving
Omar Matar - AFL & Swimming
Mia Parker - Water Polo
Ava Parry - Soccer
Clint Ridding - Swimming
Zara Sharman - Swimming & surf life saving
Emer Spiers - Athletics
Caley Tallon-Henniker - Athletics
Jade van Duin - Swimming
Teagan Williams - Athletics
The IAS 2019-20 Scholarship period will officially run from the Induction Day on Saturday 12 October 2019 through to September 2020.
Key commitments for the Scholarship period include (more specific information to come at Squad Inductions)
Squad Inductions: (TBA - Early October)
Induction Day: 12 October 2019
Academy Games: 3-5 April 2020
Training: Weekly or fortnightly (dependent on time of year)
Education Sessions: Various dates throughout the year
Athlete Testing: Induction Day & Mid-March
Strength & Conditioning: Weekly (dependent on time of year)
BluescopeWIN LSP athletes are provided a comprehensive sports specific athletic performance support, elite sports education curriculum and access to a range of elite sports development resources, as required, in consultation with the athlete and coaching staff.
IAS Scholarship holders are expected to attend ALL scheduled IAS BluescopeWIN LSP sessions in addition to club, representative and other sporting commitments.
The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing elite training in the education and development around strength and conditioning, as well as a sports education curriculum.
Strength and Conditioning
There will be an expectation that IAS athletes commit to a Strength and Conditioning (S&C) program throughout the scholarship period. IAS view S&C as a crucial aspect of any athlete’s development. The IAS S&C program is overseen by our Physical Performance Coach and there are supervised weekly gym sessions at the majority of the council regions.
IAS Scholarship athletes will complete an education curriculum covering sports specific topics including sports nutrition, performance psychology, drugs in sport, media/public speaking skills as well as many other topics throughout the year.
Education sessions will be in the form of webinars and workshops. The webinars are easily accessible anywhere, online. The workshops will take place at the University and will be a mix of interactive and content-based learning.
The IAS is the only regional Academy to not charge an athlete levy to athletes successful in obtaining a scholarship. However, athletes may be required to contribute to some additional components of the program such as camps and tours.
Athletes will also be required to purchase the IAS uniform.
To be eligible for the BluescopeWIN LoneStar Scholarship Program, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region made up of the Kiama, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Wingecarribee or Wollongong local government areas; and
- Be a registered member with the State Sporting Organisation (SSO) through an Association within the Illawarra region; and
- Be affiliated with the SSO for the nominated sport; and;
- Be of age 13 - 17 during the year of scholarship i.e. born 2003 - 2007
- Special consideration may be given to athletes outside the eligible age, subject to the approval of the IAS board.
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in your chosen sport;
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction;
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance;
- Demonstrate potential to be selected for NSW/National representation within 12 months;
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence; and;
Applications for 2019/20 Scholarships are now closed.
For all enquiries please contact the IAS office on 4225 3899
The IAS Athlete Scholarship Program is proudly sponsored by BlueScopeWIN Community Partners and supported by various local sporting associations.
The LoneStar Program is endorsed by various state and national sporting bodies through their nomination of athletes for scholarships