The IAS Triathlon Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented triathletes by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October with the majority of the program completed in the off-season before April.
The IAS Triathlon Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented triathletes by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October with the majority of the program completed in the off-season before May.
IAS Triathlon sessions will be held weekly/fortnightly at the IAS primary training venues including Wollongong Harbour and the Fairy Meadow Surf Club, however some training sessions may still be held at other Bowling Clubs throughout the Illawarra Region including Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and the Wingecarribee.
IAS Scholarship holders will be exposed to high level competition through their participation in the annual ClubsNSW Academy Games, as well as through the various club, zone and state races which athletes are required to participate.
IAS Scholarship holders are expected to attend ALL scheduled IAS Triathlon sessions in addition to club, representative and other sport commitments.
The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing elite training in triathlon specific skill development, athletic movement development programs as well as an elite sports education curriculum.
Sports Specific Skill Development - SSSD
IAS Scholarship athletes are provided elite triathlon skill development programs and exposed to high quality instruction from the region’s leading triathlon coaches. Athletes are provided training in triathlon specific skill areas including swimming (incl. entry & exit), running and Cycling, transitions well as race management. Through the use of video analysis athletes are also provided both technical and tactical feedback on individuals techniques and decision-making.
Athletic Movement Development - AMD
IAS Scholarship athletes receive a comprehensive Musculoskeletal Screening and individualised pre-hab exercise programs as well as an athletic movement competency screening with specific high performance resistance training programs designed for individual athletes needs in line with the long term athlete development model. Additionally, scholarship holders will receive triathlon specific physical testing in line with the requirements of Triathlon Australia.
Elite Sports Education Curriculum - ESEC
IAS Scholarship athletes will complete an education curriculum covering sports specific topics including sports nutrition, performance psychology, drugs in sport and athletic movement & injury prevention as well as personal development topics including athlete professionalism, goal-setting & time management and media awareness & public speaking.
Education sessions will be in the form of workshops and seminars and may require athletes to complete online assessments.
The IAS along with its sponsors and supporters covers the majority of the costs associated with the sports scholarship program. Scholarship athletes may however be required to contribute to some additional components of the program such as camps and tours.
New athletes are required to purchase the basic IAS Uniform which while partly subsidized by the IAS, is a cost to the athlete.
To be eligible for a Triathlon Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region, Kiama, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Wingecarribee or Wollongong local government areas; and
- Be a registered member with Triathlon NSW and with a club in the Illawarra region; and;
- Be aged between 13 - 17 during the year of scholarship.
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in Triathlon; and
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction; and
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance; and
- Demonstrate potential for selection into State or National representative squads within 12 months; and;
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence.
The selection process for the 2018 IAS Scholarship include the following:
- All athletes MUST submit an Athlete Nomination Form - Now Open
- All athletes need to attend the Trial to be held Sunday 17th September 2017 (Venue TBC)
New Athletes Only
- New Athletes will be required to attend a short interview with the IAS staff and coaches between Monday 9th October – Friday 13th October 2017