IAS BlueScopeWIN Hockey Program
The IAS BlueScopeWIN Hockey Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented hockey players by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October with the majority of the program completed in the off-season before May.
The IAS Hockey Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented hockey players by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October with the majority of the program completed in the off-season before May.
The IAS runs both a boys and girls hockey program which while running concurrently are stand along programs that are resourced separately.
IAS Hockey sessions will be held fortnightly at various venues throughout the Illawarra Region including Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and the Wingecarribee.
IAS Scholarship holders will be exposed to high level competition through their participation in the annual ClubsNSW Academy Games as well as matches against the SWSAS.
IAS Scholarship holders are expected to attend ALL scheduled IAS Hockey sessions in addition to club, representative and other sport commitments.
The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing elite training in hockey specific skills development, athletic performance as well as an elite sports education curriculum.
Sports Specific Skill Development - SSSD
IAS Scholarship athletes are provided elite hockey skill development programs and exposed to high quality instruction from the region’s leading hockey coaches. Athletes are provided training in hockey specific skill areas including passing, trapping, scoring and defending. Through the use of video analysis athletes are also provided both technical and tactical feedback on individuals techniques and decision-making.
Athletic Movement Development - AMD
IAS Scholarship athletes receive a comprehensive Musculoskeletal Screening and individualised pre-hab exercise programs as well as an athletic movement competency screening with specific high performance resistance training programs designed for individual athletes needs in line with the long term athlete development program. Additionally, scholarship holders will receive hockey specific physical testing in line with the requirements of Hockey NSW.
Elite Sports Education Curriculum - ESEC
IAS Scholarship athletes will complete an education curriculum covering sports specific topics including sports nutrition, performance psychology, drugs in sport and athletic movement & injury prevention as well as personal development topics including athlete professionalism, goal-setting & time management and media awareness & public speaking.
Education sessions will be in the form of workshops and will require athletes to complete a home task as well as an online assessments towards the end of the scholarship period.
The IAS along with its sponsors and supporters covers the majority of the costs associated with the sports scholarship program. Scholarship athletes may however be required to contribute to some additional components of the program such as camps and tours.
New athletes are required to purchase the basic IAS Uniform which while partly subsidized by the IAS, is a cost to the athlete.
To be eligible for a Hockey Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region, Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and Wingecarribee; and
- Be a registered member with Hockey NSW through an Association within the Illawarra region; and
- Between the ages of 16 to 18 during the scholarship i.e. born in 2000, 2001 or 2002
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in hockey;
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction;
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance;
- Demonstrate potential to be selected for Hockey NSW state teams within 12 months;
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence;
The selection process for the 2018 IAS Scholarship include the following:
- All athletes MUST submit an Athlete Nomination Form - Now Open
- All athletes need to attend the Trial to be held Monday 18th September 2017 at Unanderra Hockey Centre
New Athletes Only
- New Athletes will be required to attend a short interview with the IAS staff and coaches between Monday 9th October – Friday 13th October 2017
The IAS Hockey Program is proudly sponsored by BlueScopeWIN Community Partners and supported by Illawarra South Coast Hockey Association.
The IAS Hockey Program is endorsed by Hockey NSW.