The IAS AFL Girls Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented Female AFL Players by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs.
The Illawarra Academy of Sport program is an endorsed program within the AFLNSW athlete pathway.
The program is primarily implemented to alleviate excessive travel and develop identifies regional talent
The IAS AFL Program will provide coaching, training and competition, and support services to improve athlete development with a view to:
- Identify talented athletes in the Illawarra
- Enhance opportunities for selection into state squads and state teams, entry into national programs and other progression opportunities in the pathway.
- Increase athlete exposure to sports science, personal development and education;
- Provide coach development opportunities for IAS Coaches and other suitable support personnel and coaches in the region
The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing elite training in AFL specific skills development, athletic movement development as well as an elite sports education curriculum.
Sports Specific Skill Development - SSSD
IAS Scholarship athletes are provided elite AFL skill development programs and exposed to high quality instruction from the region’s leading coaches. Athletes are provided training in AFL specific skill areas. Athletes are also provided feedback on individual techniques and decision-making.
Athletic Movement Development - AMD
IAS Scholarship athletes receive a comprehensive Musculoskeletal Screening and individualised pre-hab exercise programs as well as an athletic movement competency screening with specific high performance resistance training programs designed for individual athletes needs in line with the long term development of the athlete. Additionally, scholarship holders will receive AFL specific physical testing in line with the requirements of AFL NSW/ACT.
Elite Sports Education Curriculum - ESEC
IAS Scholarship athletes will complete an education curriculum covering sports specific topics including sports nutrition, performance psychology, drugs in sport and athletic movement & injury prevention as well as personal development topics including athlete professionalism, goal-setting & time management, and media awareness & public speaking.
Education sessions will be in the form of workshops and will require athletes to complete a home task as well as an online assessments towards the end of the scholarship period.
The IAS along with its sponsors and supporters covers the majority of the costs associated with the sports scholarship program. Scholarship athletes may however be required to contribute to some additional components of the program such as camps and tours.
New athletes are required to purchase the basic IAS Uniform which while partly subsidised by the IAS, is a cost to the athlete.
To be eligible for a ALF Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region, Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and Wingecarribee; and
- Be a registered member with AFL NSW through an Association within the Illawarra region; and
- Between the ages of 14 to 18 during the scholarship i.e. born in 2000 - 2004
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in AFL;
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction;
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance;
- Demonstrate potential to be selected for NSW state teams;
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence.
The selection process for the 2018/19 IAS AFL Girls Scholarship details will be finalised shortly. Please check back to confirm.