LoneStar Scholarship Program
The IAS LoneStar Scholarship Program (LSP) is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented athletes by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs.
The LSP is for athletes who compete in the various sports, individual or team, that the IAS currently do not provide a Sports Program or athletes that do not meet their Sports Program eligibility or selection criteria.
The IAS LoneStar Scholarship Program (LSP) is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented athletes by providing industry leading high performance sport development programs. The LSP is for athletes who compete in the various sports, individual or team, that the IAS currently do not provide specific programs for or for athlete who fall outside the sports specific eligability.
Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding September the following year.
LSP athletes are provided a comprehensive sports specific athletic performance support, elite sports education curriculum and access to a range of elite sports development resources, as required, in consultation with the athlete and coaching staff. Athletes may be eligiable for financial assistance to source additional elite coaching and athlete development initiatives.
IAS Scholarship holders are expected to attend ALL scheduled IAS LSP sessions in addition to club, representative and other sporting commitments.
The IAS is committed to the development of the holistic athlete by providing support for sport specific skills development, athletic performance programs as well as an elite sports education curriculum.
Sports Specific Skill Development - SSSD
IAS Scholarship athletes are provided support for sport specific skills development. Athletes are offered support in sports specific skill areas, as required.
Athletic Movement Development - AMD
IAS Scholarship athletes receive a comprehensive Musculoskeletal Screening and individualised pre-hab exercise programs as well as an athletic movement competency screening with specific high performance resistance training programs designed for individual athletes needs in line with the long term athlete development model. Additionally, scholarship holders will receive sport specific physical testing in line with the requirements of the state and national sporting bodies.
Elite Sports Education Curriculum - ESEC
IAS Scholarship athletes will complete an education curriculum covering sports specific topics including sports nutrition, performance psychology, drugs in sport and athletic movement & injury prevention as well as personal development topics including athlete professionalism, goal-setting & time management and media awareness & public speaking.
Education sessions will be in the form of workshops and will require athletes to complete a home task as well as an online assessments towards the end of the scholarship period.
The IAS along with its sponsors and supporters covers the majority of the costs associated with the sports scholarship program. Scholarship athletes may however be required to contribute to some additional components of the program such as camps and tours.
New athletes are required to purchase the basic IAS Uniform which while partly subsidized by the IAS, is a cost to the athlete.
To be eligible for the LoneStar Scholarship Program, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region made up of the Kiama, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Wingecarribee or Wollongong local government areas; and
- Be a registered member with the State Sporting Organisation (SSO) through an Association within the Illawarra region; and
- Be affiliated with the SSO for the nominated sport; and;
- Be of age 13 - 17 during the year of scholarship i.e. born 2002 - 2006
- Special consideration may be given to athletes outside the eligible age, subject to the approval of the IAS board.
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in your chosen sport;
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction;
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance;
- Demonstrate potential to be selected for NSW/National representation within 12 months;
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence; and;
The selection process for the 2018/19 IAS Scholarship include the following:
- All athletes MUST submit an online nomination form - see below
New Athletes Only
- New Athletes will be required to attend a short interview with the IAS staff and coaches
We will be in touch shortly for anyone who nominated for the Lonestar Program
The IAS Athlete Scholarship Program is proudly sponsored by BlueScopeWIN Community Partners and supported by various local sporting associations.
The LoneStar Program is endorsed by various state and national sporting bodies through their nomination of athletes for scholarships